My first reaction to Pitchfork’s top 10 tracks of 2007
On a scale of cool to douche, people who take all their musical cues from Pitchfork score an American Apparel. They are only slightly above people who take all their musical cues from movies, television, and advertisements. With all this end of year bullshit, this classic post from Gossiping Bitches really sums up how I feel. It’s always easier to hate than to create, so here’s my anti list:
1. LCD Soundsystem – “All My Friends.” Not the best song on Sound of Silver, yet inexplicably crowned the song of the year. I guess if the white boys who write these lists can relate to the lyrics then it must be awesome. “Wah wah I don’t go to college anymore and I’m getting fat but I still want to do yay and dance.”
2. Battles – “Atlas.” It’s okay. I can think of approximately 1,000 songs I liked better this year.
“Atlas (DJ Koze Remix)” — Battles (mp3)
3. Panda Bear – “Bros.” What is freak folk? The only people who listen to this stuff are well to do liberal arts grads, freaky! Not to mention “Comfy In Nautica” is the obvious pick.
“Comfy in Nautica” – Panda Bear (mp3)
4. MIA – “Paper Planes” Remix. Okay, dope track, but so was “Ice Ice Baby.” M.I.A. cannot rap, write, or dance. Does she do her own production? If not I don’t understand what exactly she brings to the table. Diplo saved her the first time around, The Clash do it this time.
5. Rihanna – “Umbrella.” Here’s what I had to say earlier this year.
6. UGK – “International Players Anthem.” Black people Pitchfork says it’s okay for you to like: Jay Z, Lil Wayne, UGK, Outkast, R Kelly, Dipset, Wu Tang.
7. LCD Soundsystem – “Someone Great.” Fair enough, awesome track, perhaps only second to “Get Innocuous” on Sound of Silver.
“Get Innocuous” — LCD Soundsystem (mp3)
lcd soundsystem, kind of
8. Justice – “D.A.N.C.E.” This song went from awesome to annoying after about 10 listens. That’s okay, what wasn’t okay was the way DANCE had a delayed infection so – to use a horrible metaphor – after I had gotten over the flu all these other people kept coughing on me months later.
9. Animal Collective – “Fireworks.” Fair enough. (mp3)
10. Jay Z – “Ignorant Shit.” It’s like they made a point of intentionally selecting the second or third best tracks from popular albums to be like “we still got it!” “Roc Boys” and “Success” are the obvious winners from American Gangster.
“Roc Boys (And the Winner Is…)” – Jay-Z (mp3)
Our senior contributor doesn’t celebrate the birth of Christ, but he wishes you a good one while you praise some made up dude.
PREVIOUSLY ON THIS RECORDING
The top ten of all time.
Christopher Isherwood returned from the dead.
our senior contributor, holding it down